CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 29, 2005

ummmm I dunno

I have no idea what to put for a title. hehehee Whatever.

Anyhow...this week marks the beginning of my seasonal, un healthy infatuation with the hot cocoa again. My husband was so disturbed by it last year, that he wanted to seek out professional help for me. But...HA IN YOUR EYE!!!!! Because of my hordings, and booby trapping the hiding place I have an entire 1/2 can, that's half a giant can of hot cocoa powder to start this season off with. *insert evil laugh here*

There has been an amazing pinon season this year. Past few years it was horrible, not enough rain. But this year. Oh my, so many pinons, and they are so dang big. Pinons being a pine nut that is harvested off of the Pinon Pine tree. It's a big thing here. Alot of the older Navajo's go out pinon collecting, then they cook them up and sell them. We have always bought a bag or two of pinons each year. Being as that is all we can afford. Take a ziplock sandwich bag and maybe put a measured cup or cup and a half in it. And they sell those for about 5 bucks a piece. It's horrible, but it's a delicacy we like to indulge in each year. This year the crop is HUGE. Seems like everyone is selling pinons this year. Gigantor bought a 3lb bag of raw one's for 5 bucks. We are going to try to cook them ourselves. Never done it before, so wish me luck. hehehee
Also... that made me have this kookie idea. I thought Hmmmm we haven't been up to the mountain in a long time (Kaibab national forest) Why not go up on Saturday, and pick our own pinons. We could go spend the day on the mountain, have a picnic, and spend our time raking under tree's, then beating the hell out of the tree, then collecting all the nuts off the ground. hehehehe I may regret this, but I think it sounds like fun.

OOOOOooOoO another cool thing about the Kaibab. Have any of you heard about the rare Kaibab Squirrel??? It's beautiful. Only place on earth it's found, and we are only an hour from it. hehehehe It's a blackish grey with a solid white tail, and no it isn't a skunk. LOL Anyhow, I found this cute little sight that a guy photo documented a rare encounter with one. So.... Click here It's some of the best photo's of the squirrel I've seen. Plus I thought it was a cute little encounter.

Anyhow, the Kaibab being up on the rims of the Grand Canyon. That is where we are going. Hope to see squirrels, birds, and deer. NO BEARS!!!! or NO MOUNTAIN LIONS!!!!! And we hope to see and get about 50 gazillion nuts. hehehehehe

Happy Thursday everyone!!!!

p.s. Pinon is pronounced Pin (as in stick pin) and Yon (or yawn)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you have fun on your trip...hope you get to see one of those squirrels too..BUT...don't let THIS happen to ya!

Op~

Burfica said...

OMG opie I love Ray Stevens. He cracks me up.

Alekx said...

If you can get Gigantor to actually go up there with you

If not go without him...the pain in the ass

ThreeOliveMartini said...

i feel so smart today.. i k now what pinons are .. AND i know what kind of squirrel that is !
go me!

The Unknown said...

Thanks for giving more love. Your love is abundant.

MomThatsNuts said...

I dont care for pinons at all! We always get some because the ETK likes them but I dont much care for them. Not badly enough to brave mountian lions for them...lol HAVE FUN!!

Mom

Dorko said...

Joe & I used to go Nuts. :-) OK. You knew that, but, I mean we used to drive up to the Kaibab and gather pinons. Then some Navajo friends told me I was working too hard and that I should just lay a sheet down under the tree- shake those branches, that's the way to get it done! I miss... those pinons. I got alot of enjoyment out of doing those things, hope you do too. Pack a picnic, make a day of it, stir clear of that sticky pine sap crap!
(Btw, that squirrel wasn't trolling for innocent motorcycle rider's up on the rim, was it?)Hehehee...