CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 04, 2006

Crazy Hummingbird

As alot of you know, I have this hummingbird family living in my tree. They are beautiful black chinned hummingbirds. I've been feeding this family for about 5 years now. I put the feeder outside my kitchen window, which is right across from the tree. You can see them dodge from it to the tree all the time. On some occasions if your outside or have the window open, you can hear them fighting with each other. They have a very distinct squawk. I don't know if I would call it a chirp. I have watched the babies grow up through each summer. They have been an amazing thrill to us. And make us feel at peace.

I had two very small one's come this year, and watched them grow bigger and have their own babies. In the summer we usually have to refill the feeder every week to every two weeks. Them little suckers drink alot of sugar water when they are busy. hehehehe

This past weekend it was so funny. Gigantor was starting dishes, and I was at the table doing bills. Both of which can see the window. When I look up, and the little girl hummingbird is tapping her beak on the window. Hovering, going tap tap tap tap. Very insistent. We thought she was tapping at a little suncatcher I had on the window. Then she came and did it again. So...I told Gigantor to switch their food. He says "they have food". But I made him bring it in, and we looked and the feeder was moldy. (the sun can do that) So...we go about cleaning the feeder. (we bring it in through the window) and he left the window open. Well...the third time the little girl tried to fly in the kitchen I made him close the window while we were scrubbing the mold out (what I wouldn't have given for a nipple brush right about then.) We get it clean and refill it, to the little girl going tap tap tap on the window. We hang it back outside, and three little guys came over and immediately started eating.

I've known of dogs and cats, to tell you when they are hungry. But that was a first for us. For the hummingbird to be so demanding. hehehehe

Just thought I would share that wonderful interaction with wildlife.

On side notes---Gigantor is now major sick, probably brochitus.

Kiddo is way way sad, his beloved Crocodile Hunter went to his maker today.

Rest in Peace Steve Irwin, may your heaven be filled with all the animals you love. I pray strength for Terry, and Bindy and baby Bob.

4 comments:

Azathoth100 said...

We get hummingbirds, chipmunks, and squirrles up at the cottage, and if they know your home they will all gather around the widnows because they know you'll feed them. It's prtty funny.

Tell Kiddo he's not alone in being sad about Steve's death. He was one of the good ones and will be missed.

Hertz Hertz said...

Oh, that's a lovely story! We could do with a picture of your birds too!

Phoenix5 said...

We were very sad in this house too at the passing of Steve Irwin. We used to watch him faithfully every week on Discovery.

Have you heard of the magazine called "Birds & Blooms"? My grandmother buys the subscription for my girls every year and they love looking at the pictures of the hummingbirds and flowers. I understand what you described is fairly common behaviour for hummingbirds!

Get well soon to Gigantor! And stay well for the rest of you!

Sugar said...

Cute story, hope Gigantor feels better soon. And hugs to the kiddo xx