CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Great Monkey Bread Experiment


Okay I had some of you ask what monkey bread was, and others wonder what the hell I was talking about.

Let me sorta set the stage here.

I saw Paula Deen doing a kids cooking show and they made Monkey bread.

4 cans of canned buscuits, cut them in half roll them into balls
1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixed put on a plate. Roll balls around in the mixture till coated.
Drop balls down into a greased bundt pan
On stove melt
3/4 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar. Let boil for one minute, pour all over top of buscuit balls.
Cook in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto plate, and eat warm.

Sounds pretty easy right??? RIGHT????

Well unless you are a dumb ass dork like me. First, I thought I had one of those regular old metal bundt pans. Ummmm wrong!!!!

What I had was a ceramic bundt pan. A ceramic one that is only about half the height of the metal one.

Did that make me think twice about how much shit I crammed in it??? Well it should have.

Did I stop to think about how much canned biscuits increase in size?? Well I should have!!!!

So...I proceed to squish the 4 cans of canned biscuits in this much to short bundt pan. Maybe I should have actually thought twice that they were up to the tippy top of the pan before baking. Ummm but no, that would take some brains.

Maybe I should have thought twice when all the yummy brown sugar/butter mixture was having a hard time pouring on the top cuz it was so full. Well I didn't. What I did was use a steak knife to squish biscuits out of the way, so the yummy mixture could soak all the way to the bottom.

Feeling very pleased and proud of myself we stuck the concoction in the oven. Thank god for some reason Gigantor decided it would be a good idea to put the bundt pan on top of a cookie sheet.

35 minutes, timmer goes DING!!! Open the oven and we all say. OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT????

Ummm well all the biscuits had majorly expanded in size (like they are supposed too) And remember I had them crammed to the tippy top. They were all still stuck together, but this monkey bread thing looked like it had tenticles. They were stretching out all over the place. It had risen a good 4 inches up above the pan and stretched out reaching for salvation in all dirrections. And all the one's that were on the "outside" of the pan were hard. They were monkey bread rocks. hahahaha

Gigantor pulls it out of the oven, him and kiddo look at me. I shrug and go.....oooops. lmao it was so funny. We really should have remembered to get a picture.

Well we took a machete and hacked off the tenticles, and threw them at our enemies. then we inverted it on a plate, and the part that was in the pan was perfect. Oooey and goooey and hot and sticky. It's an amazing cinnamon sticky bun experience. You just pull it apart and eat. And that's what we did.

Lesson learned. Unless I get a big metal bundt pan, I will only be using 2 cans of canned biscuits in this one at a time. hahahahahahhaa

Hope you all have a good Tuesday!!!!

17 comments:

Special K said...

I am LMAO at your "visual"! So Paula Deen thinks she invented monkey bread now? (Sigh) Take it from a real girl from the south, she made it way too complicated.
Here is the true hillbilly method.

Tear up canned biscuits into pieces.
In brown paper sack put your sugar and cinnamon.
Throw the torn up pieces of biscuits in the bag and shake (kids love this part)
Now you can throw it in a greased bundt pan or just throw them on a cookie sheet!
TA DAH!

Alekx said...

Only you can make monkey bread from outer space. ha ha ha

Burfica said...

K--she didnt' say she invented it, just said it was great to do with kids. I do like the brown sugar ooey gooey part though. heheheheh

Alekx--Alien monkey missiles.

Olly said...

Wow, that sound nummy. The recipe I use for Monkey bread is totally different. I use a bread maker to make the dough (I never make bread in it, only dough) and then you cut the dough into lots of little chunks and dip each chunk into melted garlic butter. Bake the whole lot in a bundt pan. MMMMMMMMM.

Azathoth100 said...

Heh.
Monkey Bread gone bad.
Tentacles eh? Cthulhu Bread sounds more like it.

Willow said...

*snicker* I laugh because I've made the same mistake.

If you have a Tupperware cooker, you can make them faster (and just as yummy) in the microwave.

Monkey bread. MmmmmmMMmmm.

~Just Me Miranda~ said...

Mmmmm k, for sure Im gonna come to your next holiday dinner :)

Burfica said...

olly--yeah I don't think garlic goes over as well as sweet with the kids.

AZA---!!!!!OMG long time no see. e-mail me your addy baby I need to send you a card!!!! You've been missed.

chika--I've never heard of a tupperware cooker, and nobody in this podunk town sells it. whaaaaaaaaaaa

miranda--well get your butt down here then.

Willow said...

Ebay, hon...ebay!

MomThatsNuts said...

Money bread is good. Although your story telling is better!!! Did I see AZ ?? And Miranda?? Im so bad at getting to other blogs...I will be better I PROMISE...

Mom

captain corky said...

Monkey bread sounds like something Max and Corky would love. Maybe I'll try making it sometime.

cookie monster said...

See, i WAS going to make Carrot Cake tonight but now you've scared me off!

I'll just go buy some instead!

cookie monster said...

P.S., there will be a letter wingign it's way to you soon Burfica, just as soon as i rob someone to pay for the postage. I might even include a card!


drop me an email to camberwell_green_1979@yahoo.com if you like.

Anonymous said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing but I am. he he he

I have made monkey bread before for my bunch but thank goodness I didn't have any problems.

Took me awhile to convince my youngest that there wasn't any actual monkey parts in it. LOL

Hey I am back girl! :o)

Biddie said...

Monkey bread sounds fabu. I just try some tonight for the kids...You have inspired me!

Libby said...

monkey bread sounds like a GREAT weekend breakfast for me, tom & jr!! and ask for a bigger bundt pan for christmas!!

Rhea said...

Monkey bread, huh? I've never had it...or made it. Better try it, sounds wonderful. Love your lesson. hehe