CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Fun with Bats

Eeek eeeek uck. We were discussing our run in's with bats the other day, and thought I would write them down and share them with you. I mean little bats are a common thing around here. You see them flying in the street lights at night eating all the bugs buzzing around. You can find bat hidey holes in the rock walls where the dam is built. So...all in all they are pretty friendly. Except for these two times. hehehehee

One night Gigantor was out night fishing on "the big pond" (lake Powell people, sheesh) At night him and some buddies have been known to pull in 60lbs of stripers. Anywhoooo he was out night fishing, and he feels this major Yank. So he jerks up to set the hook, only nothing there. Yank Yank, he jerks up again to set the hook, nope nothing there. Then YANK YANK YANK YANK YANK He's like what the hell?? So he starts slowly reeling his line in while the yanking continues. Then his line stops reeling in, and he can't find that it's stuck on the bottom of the lake. He looks up and it looks like he's got a mess of dead leaves at the top of his pole, he thought he just got junk on the line, and it got caught. He goes to brush it off, and it moves. WHAT THE HELL??? he yells. He pulls his pole closer to his face and notices a little bat tangled in his line, and when he reeled it in, he had reeled the poor things little wing in through the top eye hole of the fishing pole. Apparently Mr. Bat, had been skimming the top of the water flying along eating the little bugs that hop along the water. And he flew right across Gigantor's fishing line and got tangled. I mean seriously what are the odds of that?? So....Gigantor the big softy decides he's gonna try to dislodge the poor thing and hope his wing is rubbery enough and okay that he can just fly off. He's talking soft, and gently trying to remove this poor bat, and just when he's almost got it done, the little sucker bit the crap our of him. (insert insane screaming here (BATS=RABIES, BATS=RABIES) ) Okay that was me after I found out that he got bit. hehehehe Anywhoo, Gigantor being the good E.M.T. and outdoorsman that he is, knew he could be in big trouble now, so he packs up, puts the bat in an old box he had, and he drives himself to the hospital. Well at first the doctors are all laughing at him, cuz in walks this GIANT with a little boo boo bite on his thumb. And then Gigantor whips open the box and the doctors starting running and screaming BATSSSS BATSSSSSSSSSS hehehehe So... poor Mr. Bat had to be sent off and tested for rabies, and poor Gigantor had to start undergoing the series of rabies shots. Until the results came back, better safe than sorry. Well the rabies shots are a series of 8 shots over a 6 week period, and they cost a couple hundred bucks a shot. We were told the county could have Mr. Bat tested in a week. Okay that's 2 maybe 3 shots. Well the county drug it's heels, and Gigantor had to get 7 of the 8 shots, before we were told the bat did not have rabies, and we were very lucky. About then I was pissed, cuz they admitted that they could have had the tests in 48 hours of when it was sent in. Needless to say, we didn't pay for one single shot, it ended up being the counties bill. hehehehe

Well our second bat encounter is much more comical. We will never live it down at McDonalds again. About say 3 years ago, we were in our car, and decided to go grab some dinner and mickey dee's. We are in the drive through and the lady goes, "may I help you" right about then, the lady hears "OH SHIT GET OUT GET OUT A BAT!!!!" She's like "excuse me" A mother bunny humping bat flew in our car window and dive bombed me and Giganotor, and tried to fly to the back seat. (kiddo was strapped in back there) Gigantor slapped it down and it hit the floor of the car. I was out of that car like a bullet, and grabbing kiddo as I ran. I think the car seat may have still been strapped to his ass I moved so fast. Gigantor bales out of the car, and is screaming in the drive through speaker, "we need a flashlight, a BAT!!!!" By this time there are like 4 cars behind us, watching us running around freaking out, and McDonald employee's and managers are coming out to see what's wrong. One employee in his infinite wisdom walked up, and hands Gigantor a broom, and leaps back, and goes, "there man, bash it, bash it with the broom" (now bats don't freak me out by any means, I'm actually fascinated by them, but the whole rabies shots, and maybe my son having to go through that had me flipped out) So, Gigantor looks at the broom, looks at the guy and starts laughing. He gives the broom back, and goes "dude I just need to find it and help it out of the car so he can be on his merry way" Gigantor puts on some leather work gloves that happened to be on the dash ( he didn't want bit again either) and right in the drive through proceeds to empty the car, even going as far as lifting all the floor mats. I think he would have taken the seats out, if we let him. We then see something fly up from the growing pile of stuff out of our car that he started. I'm like "there he goes, there there" and Gigantor is like "are you sure" So now I'm second guessing myself. I'm like "ummm maybe???" So..we put the car back together, and realize all 4 cars behind us are not angry but laughing their butts off. The Mc Donalds employees thanked us for the entertainment, and many people said they had never seen a family bale out of a car so fast. All the way home, we continually turned the light on and checked the floor, and moved things, just wondering if the bat was gonna come out and go all mutant vampire on us or something.

I hear some parts of Texas have HUGE bats. I think I'm gonna keep my windows up the whole time I'm there. heheheheeh

Happy batty Wednesday everyone.

11 comments:

Jim said...

heyyy Burfica,
your best friends are your critics
do u agree ?


OK, u do
dats good

here's where u have an OFI (opportunity for improvement)

highlight the hott parts of yr post like Madame X does

wear some ting sexy when u sit down to rite

when u feel sexy
u rite sexy

Unknown said...

LOL...I could see all that happening...crack me up....

I had to pick them outta the grill of my rig all the time...seems they can't get outta the way of a rig going 90 mph..go figure!

I think Saby is a "bat boy"...

Op~

Mia said...

omg ewww...I know when I was in Texas last year, my girlfriend still laughs at me cuz I freaked out at the lil bats. And omg she had lil frogs on the outside of her house, And the bugs in texas are HUGE....ewww

MomThatsNuts said...

ummm I aint coming to a BBQ with BATS....
We find rattle snakes. The place we built our house is a new developement and we back up against a big desert area and we have found about a million scorpions and about 3 baby rattle snakes in the yard. One day the troll~ings called me at work and said "Mom we found a snake what should we do with it?" I worked for a hospice mind you, and I am at work repeating "KILL IT KILL IT HIT IT WITH A SHOVEL AND BURY IT" boy did I have some 'splaining to do!!!

Mom

Burfica said...

PK---all bugs give me the heebie jeebies.

Gama--OooO is that where that huge colony of bats is??

Elfin---hehehehehee But they won't drink---much. hehehee

Saby---I'm always dressed in something sexy. :)

Opie---ewwwww those poor bats.

Miranda--Thanks alot for scaring me with the bugs!!!!

Mom--Snakes, ewwwww, (not to bad but still) and scorpions. I think I'm gonna go throw up now. ahhhhhhhhhh

Unknown said...

Burfi...have a great holiday weekend...go out and bbq some bats or something....I'm cookin' a pig over on the Island (Harkers Island)...GOD Bless .. love and prayers to you and your family.

"Dorko's Huckleberry"
Op~

kitten said...

I like bats..i think they are neat....and enjoy teasing them immensly by tossing rocks into the air and watching them dive for the. I saw the biggest nastiest looking vampire bats in a cave in belize....they really do like blood.

Kat said...

Bats....ewwwwww. I'm not a fan of those ugly little mutants!

In the Philippines they have mutant ninja vampire bats from the pit of hell. Those f'rs have a 6 foot wingspan!!! 6 frickin' FEEEEET!!! They can sure annihilate a windshield when they hit it! Well, at least our little windshield crack was taken care of! Who really needs a windshield anyway...isn't that what sunglasses are for? Just remember to keep your mouth shut....wouldn't want your mouth to become a bug tomb!

~SugarBear~ said...

Love the bat stories - we've got lots of bats in our backyard trees and I've been dive-bobmed a couple of times just before dawn and lots of times around dusk........ but we don't have lots of flying insects around here. The bats take care of that for us.

ThreeOliveMartini said...

i love bats.. i think little fruit bats are cute.. and there is nothing quite like seeing them come in or out of carlsbad by the millions!

Dorko said...

I saw a little congregation of tourist outside of one of the Motel rooms in Page,AZ one day. They were gawking at this cute little bat all tucked up under an eve, having a bat nap. I think they'd have been screaming and running for their lives if it had a 6 foot wingspan!!! (lol @ kat's comment & thinking that's some serious bat-tage!)