CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 07, 2005

My Poor Poor Baby

First of all thank you all so much for your comments on the last post. Proving I hadn't turned into this old hag that hated all new trends. I do want to make the point that I believe in freedom of speech and being able to wear what you want, but, and I stress, AT AN ELEMETARY SCHOOL??, in the winter, just wear a jacket over it, and no harm done.

Okay to why I said my poor poor baby. My son comes home from school yesterday and said his throat was hurting some. Well...that happens when he has a bad allergy attack. So I just thought to keep him hydrated and give him some allergy medicine. Then last night he starts complaining that he is freezing. I had the heat up so high in here that we were wearing bathing suits and putting sun screen on. So...I take his temperature 100.6 Great. I give him some ibuprophen and his allergy meds, and put him in bed. This morning, Gigantor brings him into my bedroom and lays him down (hubby was leaving for work) and says to me, "he's sick, he's not going to school" So this poor child is shivering and shaking and moaning in his sleep next to me. I reach out and feel his head, no...feels cool. When he woke up he started crying about how much his throat hurt. I feel his head again. He was on FIRE. Take him into the doctor. By now I'm suspecting strep throat. Got into doctors before 9, got taken back to a room at 9:05 didn't get to see doctor till 10:12 then didn't get to leave till 11:45. After 4 throat cultures they figured out it was strep, and his fever was up to 102.6 . The only reason all of this rather freaked me out. Is, I have a very very healthy kid. He has had the stomach yuck and throwing up a few times, and he has had 2 sinus infections, and 1 ear ach in his 8 years. He has only EVER had 1 fever, and it never got over 101. The nice doctors and nurses then had to give him a bicylin shot. If you have ever had one of these, they are rough. The soldiers in boot camp call them "peanut butter shots" cuz they go in so thick and it takes a while. Now the nurse that gave this was soo good. She pinched him in the hip with her nails for about 45 seconds then gave the shot. Gigantor and I talked to him about deep breathing and holding onto me and not crying. And he got 5 bucks afterwards form his daddy. Cuz Gigantor said "son, you didn't cry, and those shots have been known to make grown men cry"

We are home and baby has an ibuprophen tablet in him, and some gatorade, and a popsicle, and a pizza stick. He is laying on the couch all pale and moaning slighly. His eyes look like he has two giant black eyes because they turn all purple around them when he is sick. His fingers are ice cold, and his head feels like I pulled it out of a raging fire. I'm trying to talk him into a nap. The doctor said it could take up till a week before the fever goes all the way away and he feels any better. OMG I hope he starts feeling better in a day or two. Makes me want to cry.
On a note of now I am going to get it. When they did one of the throat cultures. He gagged, so they gave him a cup of water. He takes a big drink, then coughs, right in my face. Water and spit sprayed all over my face. Guess what I should have after the 7 day incubation period?? uuuggggghhhhh

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My poor little pookie pie...Tell him how much Auntie Alekx loves him and how proud I am of him.
I sorries he got the strep throat thing from me. Hopefully this will be his only bout and it won't be like me. Say it and I've got it.
Ughhhh hopefully the other 2 kids you are watching won't get it. That's gonna be miserable

ThreeOliveMartini said...

ucky... that is why i dont have germ spreaders.. LOL.. sorry couldnt help myself... i am sorry he feels bad i know it has to suck.. take care of you so you dont get it.. and Gigantor.. cause you know .. men are worse than kids when they are sick *ducking* lol

Julie said...

Oh, bless his heart!! I had strep many times as a child, I remember when I was ten and had it I thought I was going to die, so I promised God I would quit sucking my thumb if I got to live and I did, so I had to give it up... (yes I know ten is old to suck one's thumb, by then I only did it to go to sleep).
I continued to get it later in life and ended up getting my tonsils out when I was 26 years old. He will feel bad, but he will get better, you caught it early, which is great. I hope you don't get it!! Take some echinacea to try and help right now prevent it. You can try a little 'reiki' on him too, never hurts anyways - here is a mini lesson - place your hands around his face, throat area, wherever he finds he can handle it - like as you cuddle him, just lay your hands around his face/throat/head and then think about healing him w/ 'chi' or life force energy as it flows from the earth through you. You can feel the flow through your hands onto him. should help speed up the healing process. Do it about five to ten minutes about three times a day. I know i"m a weirdo, but this crap really works, my very conventional husband used to think I was crazy til I fixed his foot one night, now I have to do it w/ every ache and pain.

Azathoth100 said...

Hope he gets better quick. Being sick sucks.

Mia said...

Awww...sorry to hear about your son, sounds like he's got alot of good care. And you better start on the echinacea right away. Stay strong, cuz for some reasons, mom's are never allowed to just get sick.

Michele said...

Sorry to hear about your son and the strep. That's horrible. You might want to consider giving him some vitamin C's and some zinc lozenges. In combination, they do wonders. I hope you don't catch those nasty germs! You might want some C and zinc too.

Phoenix5 said...

I know, I know... I'm a little late with this! I had Strep throat when I was 11 and it just about killed me! My fever was over 105 and my doctor said I was fortunate to be alive! Now for some facts about strep. Strep is a bacterial infection and NOT a virus like everyone believes! Once you get strep for the first time, you will always be suseptable to it. I've had it many MANY times over the years. The good news is, it's never quite as bad as the first time! A good antibiotic is usually all that it takes to beat strep back into submission!

BTW, what are your doctors in AZ doing with "peanut butter shots"??? I've NEVER had a needle for strep! Just a bunch of "horse pills" taken for about 10 days with the fever and sore throat subsiding after about 3 days.......