CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

More Death

Yesterday my last living grandparent passed away.

She was in her 80's. She had had Alzheimer's for the past 12 plus years. It had gotten so bad, that she couldn't swallow anymore. And she couldn't walk, or speak, and didn't know anyone really anymore.

She was my mothers step mom. I was lucky I had 6 grandparents. My fathers parents (his dad died 7 years before I was born). And two sets on my mom's side. Her mother and step father, and her father and step mother. I was always treated like their grandchild. Never a "step" So they were always my grandparents.

My Grandma was a hard person to know and to love at first. She was a somewhat "mean" lady. As I am an adult and look back on it. I would bet a 100 bucks she was bi polar, to say the least.

Grandma had these chihuahua's, 3 of the bastards. And they all were so fat, they just sorta rolled. Well her lovely babies would bite you every time you came around. Then grandma would yell at you for making her dogs bite you. Grandma, would never let us help her cook, and god forbid if you spilled anything on her table cloth. She also wouldn't let you watch t.v. Must have been why I spent most of my time at my aunts house which was right next door.

She did teach us about plants, that woman could grow almost anything. And we could go help her pick fruit in the back. She did jelly's and jams, and canning like nobody's business. Her stuff was the best.

As we got older, that's when you could tell that in her own way she loved us. I don't think she really knew what to do with younger children. And when they moved away, back to Tennessee. That's when her soul seemed to settle down and she became someone you wanted to love, and who loved you back.

I remember when Alekx and I were younger, single, and living together in southern Arizona. I would call grandma about every 6 months and ask for a care package. What I really wanted was "grandma jelly". Gosh did we love those care packages.

She would send some jelly's and jams, and canned stuff. Captain daddy always got the canned or pickled cauliflower and okra. (seeing as Alekx and I were like ewwwwwwww) What?? we were young. hehehehe And we didn't have an appreciation for homemade dill relish yet, so he got that too.

But grandma would also send little (sorta weird) things in the care packages. She would send soap and shampoo, just to make sure we washed. hahahaha She would send boxes of rice. She sent stationary once and put a note on it saying now we had no excuse not to write her. She even sent stamps. I remember she sent a pack of paper napkins. You know the 1.89 one's you get at the store. Her explanation was. Good girls and ladies use napkins not paper towels. Paper towels are for cleaning, napkins are for eating. hahahaha I use both for both. She was a hoot sometimes, when she never tried to be.

I didn't have the best relationship with my grandmother. She was a very hard person to know, accept and love. But I did love her never the less. I am not sad so much of her passing. I am actually very happy. Happy that she gets to go be with the love of her life, my grandfather, and to go be with my mother, and all the others that she loved and loved her. I'm happy she isn't suffering here on earth anymore. She is now free...

Rest in Peace grandma, you were loved, and always will be.

May you all have a blessed Wednesday today. Hug the one's you love.

21 comments:

none said...

I think is about the best send off anyone could wish for.

Canadian flake said...

I am sorry for your loss honey but glad that you have the love for her to know that this is better for her. She is in a great place now and smiling down on you along with your grandfather and mom.

love you honey.

Burfica said...

hammer--thanks

flake--thank you, I'm really happy she is free of that mental and physical hell.

Libby said...

burfica-i hope someone feels like this when it's my time to go..not sad for me, but happy for me...and they're not ashamed to admit it, it's a good thing!

Burfica said...

libby--thank you, I'm never sad they are out of pain, just sad I will miss them.

Biddie said...

It sounds like you will miss your Grandma. You must really love her to know that she will be happier now, without the Alzheimers, and with your Grandpa.
I have one surviving Grandma. She is a step-grandma, too. As I have gotten older, we have become much closer.
I think that I'll write to her right now :)
Hugs xx

Burfica said...

biddie--yeah I don't wish that disease on most people.

Special K said...

Found you through Christine. I am so sorry for the loss of your grandma. They can be quirky but in the end we find those are the things that made them "our grandma".

She sounds like she was wonderful!

Jules said...

That was a very emotional post, Burf - I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma... but when older people are that affected by things like Alzheimer's, it's really more of a relief, isn't it? And bless them all... their loved ones await and life starts all over again anyway.

I love how her care packages included stationary...

(((HUGE HUGS))) for you right now...

Burfica said...

special K--Welcome. Sorry it was such a downer post for your first one.

Jules--Yes it was a real relief for her daughter that took care of her all the years of her sickness.

Mia said...

(((Big hugs))) I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. She's watching over you now.

Burfica said...

miranda--are you kidding, she's throwing a fricken party!!! lol I'm sure she is on "angel watch" with mom and my other grandparents.

Anonymous said...

Burf, sorry about your Gramma. Alzheimer's is no picnic especially for the family.

You've written a nice tribute to her. Now I'm in the mood for a PBJ sandwich.

Burfica said...

babzy---the memories sure have been flooding in today, some good, some not, but all real.

cookie monster said...

sorry to hear of your loss. mega-hugs me old china.

melodyann said...

Burf, I'm so sorry for your loss...

hugs

Marni said...

Such a sweet post. She is whole again and with the ones she loves. We can only hope that will happen to us someday.

Hugs...

captain corky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
captain corky said...

That was a very touching post Burfica.

Burfica said...

cookie---mega hugs back.

Melody ann--thank you my friend

marni--I'm sure it will.

corky--thanks cork.

~SugarBear~ said...

It was great to read the wonderful memories you have of your grandmother.